Learn to Skate USAGroup classes are the core of the Juneau Skating Learn to Skate USA Program. Along with group classes all students are encouraged to participate in our annual Basic Skills Competition and Spring Show.
Learn to Skate Classes are:
• Advanced Skaters / Beginning Figure Skaters & Beginning Youth Synchro (Youth levels 5-8)
Friday 6:30 – 7:30 pm
• Youth age six (6) & up (Levels 1-4)
• Adults (Levels 1-6) who wish to be in an “adult only” class
• Advanced Skaters / Beginning Figure Skaters (Youth levels 6, 7 & 8)
• Snowplow Sam skaters (youth ages 4 & 5)
• Youth age six (6) & up (Levels 1-4)
• Advanced Skaters / Beginning Figure Skaters (Youth level 5)
• Adults who are content to be in a youth class and follow the youth curriculum
This year’s session schedule:
Session 1: Sept 14 – Oct 20
Session 2: Oct 26 – Dec 8
- NO ICE: Nov 9&10
Session 3: Jan 11 – Feb 16
Session 4: March 1 – April 6
• Our group classes run in six (6) week sessions. The cost is $90.00, with a $10 discount for registering and completing payment online by the early registration deadline.
• We have four (4) sessions a year. Skaters may start skating during any session of the year, or skip sessions depending on what their schedule allows.
• During Learn to Skate class, skaters are split into groups with other skaters of comparable age and skill level. As a skater progresses through our program they learn new skating skills that build on the skills they have already mastered. Each skater progresses at their own pace and should not be expected to pass to a new level each session.
• All skaters will receive 30 minutes of group instruction and 30 minutes of supervised practice time. Experience has shown us that this combination provides the best overall environment for skater growth.
• All youth skaters need to have an adult who is responsible for them at the rink during the entire hour of basic skills class. Our coaches are unable to monitor skaters once they have left the ice.
• All of our classes are taught by JSC coaches who are registered with USFS and have passed a USFS safe sport background check.
• We highly recommend that all skaters skate at least two times a week. The rink has an open skate calendar available online and at the rink.
When Registering Skaters:
Snowplow Sam – This class is for all skaters between the ages of 4 & 5.
Beginning Youth & Adult – Any skater over the age of 6 that has never had a formal skating lesson should be registered as a beginner skater. Coaches assess skater’s skill levels during the first day and will move the skater to the appropriate group as needed.
Beginning Figure Skaters / Advanced Basic Skills – Skaters that have passed level 4 are considered advanced youth / beginning figure skaters. Skaters at this level will have been skating with JSC or another program for at least one, possibly several years. This is not an entry level class.
If you have questions regarding what class to register a skater for, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Snowplow Sam skaters (Tots Ages 4 & 5): Skaters at this level will receive 30 minutes of group instruction and are welcome to stay for the 30 minutes of supervised practice time once they can move across the ice independently. Many of these young skaters are still developing the strength and stamina needed to skate for a full hour. Expect these skaters to sit down & come on and off the ice frequently.
Advanced Youth & Adult / Beginning Figure Skaters (Youth Levels 5-8, Adult Levels 4-6): We provide two (2) classes per week for this level of skater and encourage skating 3 or more days a week. At least one of these days should be a group or private lesson. The other two days may be at an open skate, lesson, synchronized skating class, or any combination of these. Please refer to our “Transitioning into Beginning Figure Skating” Link on the right side of this page for more information.
Many Thanks to Our Annual Sponsors